In January 2019, Wabaseemoong, Grassy Narrows, Ontario, and Canada established the MDB Expert Panel to provide advice to the parties regarding the modernization of MDB mandate and operations including updating eligibility, benefit levels, the claims process, and the clinical testing and assessment process.
The Expert Panel released its Final Report in February 2021, making 51 recommendations with respect to culturally safe processes, enhanced procedural fairness processes, updated medical examinations, and the identification of additional medical symptoms consistent with mercury poisoning.
The 4 parties have established formal processes to begin implementing the 51 recommendations.
One (1) of the recommendations relating to culturally safe processes is the hiring of a Community Support Worker in each of Wabaseemoong and Grassy Narrows to ensure members can meaningfully participate in the new MDB processes.
- Identify individuals in the community who may be eligible to make an application, in accordance with identified assessment process
- Supply application forms and support individuals with form filling and delivery
- Provide support in obtaining certain material for their applications, such as biomarker data and letters from primary case providers and/or specialists
- Identify Elders to perform translations as necessary
- Work with the MDB to help applicants to understand assessment processes
- Help applicants with understanding and interpreting MDB decisions and seeking review, in accordance with processes
- Support individuals with reapplications in accordance with processes
- Organize non-insured health benefits (NIHB) travel for individuals travelling for appointments related to MDB application or review
- Support the MDB in locating/contacting applicants if needed
- Coordinating with MDB staff in securing appropriate space in the community for clinical assessments
- Assist the MDB in organizing MDB community meetings
- Reporting to Wabaseemoong Chief and Council and to the MDB
- Attend MDB Reform Implementation meetings as directed by Chief and Council and perform related duties
- Assist in the development and distribution of MDB communication materials, including letters, pamphlets, and posters
- Provide assistance to reform process in accordance with instruction from chief and council or designated representatives
- Member of Wabaseemoong Independent Nations
- Graduated from high school
- High interest in a field of health administration relevant to the Community Support Worker position
- Proficiency with computer programs (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and virtual meeting applications
- Strong oral and written communication skills
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Positive attitude
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times and a high degree of ethics
- Ability to be prepared and organized
- Ability to take direction and show initiative
- Appreciation of the value of teamwork and building collaborative and supportive relationships
- Comfortable with adding your perspective to a conversation
- Ability to problem-solve and meet challenges practically, analytically and creatively
- Comfortable asking questions and researching for greater understanding of new things
- Confidence in accepting quality and thoughtful feedback focused on your forward growth
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment and adapt quickly to change
- Familiarity with healthcare and wellness services available in the community
- Fluency in Ojibway an important asset
- Volunteer or work experience linked to community health, or strong transferrable skills that would complement a career in health administration
- Ability to travel to meetings, and attend training courses as needed
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
The term of the employment is from March 15, 2022 to March 31, 2023, renewable annually, subject to the availability of funding. There will be a 3-month probation period to assess on-the-job performance and progress made in assisting Wabaseemoong members to meaningfully participate in the new MDB claims process. Mandatory orientation training will be provided.
A work station, computer, and cell phone will be provided with this position.
A competitive salary commensurate with experience and responsibilities will be provided to the successful candidate.
Interested Candidates should provide a detailed Resume demonstrating their experience, skills and abilities to Lara McDonald via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by March 12, 2022.